Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Karaoke Mexicano

This is what I did after Jazzmientos. This post will be a lot more interesteing and make more sense when you see the picture that I don't have yet.

Last Thursdays the crew at the local Starbucks, where I spend a great deal of my time, invited me to a karaoke party. It was one of those situations that I find myself in regularily where I understand the basics of a conversation, but I don't get the details.

What I thought was going to happen
I thought that a few of us were going to go to one of the guys' houses to make some music. A bunch of the crew are drummers and we had been talking about getting together to make music. They told me be there at 11:00 because that's when they closed.

What really happened
I showed up, banjo in hand, ready to make music. We were waiting for the whole rest of the crew. That's about 10 people total. Then we drove, not to far away, to a house that I later learned was not owned by one of the baristas, but by a couple who are frequent coffee drinkers, also. We weren't there to make music, we were there because the couple was throwing a kareoke party for the Starbucks crew.

So we had a karaoke party. Now it was a little strange for these reasons.
  • I don't work at Starbucks.
  • I speak Spanish like a 4-year-old.
  • I don't know ANY contemporary Mexican pop tunes.
But, I did what I could and we had a great time. My first song was Suspicious Minds. Later the whole crew sang Cielito Lindo with me, which I will remember as a very special moment of my trip here.

Towards the end of the night the drums were brought out and we did get down to some instrumental music. Banjo and djembe just jammin' away. And I sang Lazy John.

Another memorable night.

No comments: