Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Chicago Skronk at La Casona (Jazzmientos)

This was AWESOME.

My neighbors Graciella and Luis invited me to an event called Jazzmientos. It was held at the beautiful La Casona which is an art space created my the American artist John Spencer. This picture is from an inner courtyard. The concert space, which is unusual to say the least, was at the top of these stairs.

It was an evening of jazz in celebration of the 7th aniversary of 106.1 FM, an alternative radio station here in Cuernavaca. I was sure I would like it, but I had no idea what I was in for - Chicago style skronk!

This is a short video of Claude Lawrence, who, oddly enough, resides in Chicago.


This is a short video of Claude Lawrence playing with Francisco Mora Catlett, who played with another Chicagoian, SUN RA.


I felt like my Mexico experience went to a new level with this event. The space was incredible and the audience "felt" like people like me.

I even met two new friends who would play a much larger role during my travels: Mercedes and Karla. We didn't really talk much, but they were very nice and very pretty and - pretty girls from Mexico who are into skronky jazz - well, that's the winning combination! I invited them out to El Manojo the next night and then went home with Graciella and Luis. But that was only the first half of the evening.

. . . to be continued.

No comments: