Saturday, August 2, 2008

What a Great Day - Taxco

Sunday, July 27, will go down as one of my favorite days (as I'm sure so many will) of my 2008 Trip to Mexico.

Stephan and I went to Taxco, which is famous as a silver mining town and shopping mecca. Now, if you know me you know that "shopping" isn't my favorite thing in the world, but we had such a great time just kicking around that it really didn't matter.

The day started off by us missing our first bus to Taxco so we walked down to El Zocalo and had some coffee (that picture is the view from the coffee shop) and kicked around the Jardin Borda, a for awhile. Jardin Borda is a beautiful gardn with fountains and very old trees; just the kind of place I would have hated going as a kid. We fed the duck, checked out some really tall trees and walked back to the bus station to make our way to Taxco.

It was a great trip out into the country. We were lucky enough to have the very front seats. Here's a view out of the bus window.






Taxco is all about buying and selling silver. We didn't go into many shops but we did see this beautiful church. We also hunted down a restaurant called Restaurante Tia Calla. I had read in a guide book that the Polzone at Tia Calla was especially good. Polzone is a very common corn soup from Mexico. I had exactly what the guide book recommended; a bowl of Polzone and a shot of Mezcal. While I wouldn't go all the way to Taxco just for polzone, it was fun to find our way through the streets and the food was very good.

We messed up our travel plans for a second time, so we had only 3 hours or so in Taxco which turned out to be fine. We stopped by a big silver market. Stephan bought a necklace for his girl and I bought a simple bracelet for myself. We caught the bus and headed back to Cuernavaca.

We got back at about 7:00 and nothing to do. So we made our way back to El Zocalo and found a hole in the wall bar to have some cervezas. It was time for some dinner and we made our way north to La Gringa for some tacos al pastor. La Gringa is infamous for it's al pastor, which is a spicy pork that is cooked on a spicket skewer and garnished with pineapple.

That was just the same as the rest of the day; nothing so special, but it was great to be there with a good friend, eating great food and not having a care in the world.

It was just a great day.

5 comments:

MC 1293 said...

I love that you seem so comfortable traveling. I know that traveling has never been your favorite thing. I will say again that you amaze me!
Love, MOM

Unknown said...

Jason, I love you and I love the story of this day and I think you just made up the word "spicket"
Love , Miki "the spicket" Greenberg

erica p said...

I loved the day I spent in Taxco too! We'll have to share sometime.

Corey said...

Jason, this is Corey, I see you are still having fun in Mexico. Your Cubs whipped up on my Astros the other day, but I think they ended up splitting the series. Buenos suerte con su ninos en escuela!!!

Adios,

Corey

skip said...

OK, I don't usually read blogs. But yours is hard to resist. It's great being able to share your adventure!