Sunday, August 10, 2008

On the Town in the Land of Mexican Independence


Querétaro is a beautiful, charming city. This is a statue of Josefa Ortiz de Domíngo, who is one of the heros of the Mexican War for Independence. The initial planning for the war happened in Querétaro. Querétaro is the capital of the state of Querétaro. I arrived in on Thursday and checked out the band and caught up with Sandy’s family.

Thursday was “tourist day”. Sandy and her daughter, Nicole, took me on quite a tour. I was kind of tired of taking pictures so I gave my camera to Nicole and she took over for me. All these pictures are by Nicole, unless she’s in them. Then I took it.

We went everywhere. Went to a huge church and saw some statues of important people from the Mexican Revolution.








We saw the aqueduct (in the background) and checked out the beautiful view from the top of the city.








We walked up an down a lot of streets, eating tacos and checking everything out.







Eventually we had to sit down for a little bit.








We went to a great candy shop and bought a ton of dulces. Yum.








We went through the downtown section with all the artists selling jewelry. They had a cool “Frog Walk” which I think is the same idea as the Chicago Cows. The green one was my favorite.






We had to stop by Sandy’s office. While Sandy was taking care of some business we took we took portraits on the terrace. Nicole likes Americas Next Top Model, too!









Check out this flame statue. I’m guessing it’s my the same artist as the one in Chicago.










The afternoon ended with . . . more sweets! This is at an chain of coffee shops called “Italian Coffee”. It’s pretty good coffee.







I don’t have any pictures of it, but the day ended with some and a couple cervezas (for Sandy, her Mom and I only) and we played a couple games of Dora the Explorer themed Memory.

That’s when Nicole told me that I was her best friend. I was really touched by that. She is one sweet kid.

Boy, by the end of the day I was REALLY wore out. Nicole is a great walker. I was very impressed.

No comments: