Monday, August 4, 2008

¿Qué es eso?


This is Jesus. He calls himself Jessie en inglés. Tiene sies años. (He's six-years-old.) We met on the five hour bus ride from Cuernavaca to Querétaro.

Jesus and his mom where sitting in the seats in front of me. No one was next to me. I must have "I'm good with kids," written across my forehead in Spanish as well as English. We weren't on the bus for 10 minutes before Jesus had found his way to the seat next to me.

We had a great time on the bus, and I was quite happy for some friendly company. He didn't stop talking, in Spanish, THE WHOLE TRIP. He didn't seem to mind that I didn't understand much of anything, although once and a while he did mutter "Ay, ay, ay," under his breath. We were able to share our favorite animals, our favorite movies and our favorite foods. His favorite food is mango. I just happened to have some mango with me. We're sharing it in that picture. That's why we're so happy.

I also taught him play Crazy Eights or Ochos Loco en español. That was pretty cool. I highly recommend trying to teach a card game with minimal language skills. Other than that we watched the cartoon Open Season and drew pictures of all kinds of stuff. We also played the game ¿"Qué es eso"? ("What is that?"), in Spanish. I was very bad at that.

The bus ride back on Sunday was much less enjoyable. The bus was jam packed, I was in the aisle seat, I was 2 rows from the bathroom and they showed a very depressing movie about governmental spying in East Germany. I was so happy to be "home".

No comments: