Monday, June 23, 2008

The First Thing I Did was Burn My Journals


Actually, the first thing I did was take a nap. Then I burned all my journals.

I'm done teaching for the summer.

Miki and I had a little ceremony this evening, where I read a few select and a few random passages from journals I've been keeping since 1998. Then we burned them and roasted marshmallows.

Parts of the experience were tough and moments where quite physically beautiful. All and all it was very cleansing. You might wonder why I would burn my journals, or maybe why I would journal in the first place. I see it like this.

If I was creating a wood carving, I wouldn't save all the wood shavings, I'd only save the carving. Now, since I graduated from college (and began the task of living a much fuller life), I've been working on a sculpture and this sculpture is me. The journals where the shavings of this sculpture. They needed to be created, but now they've fulfilled their use.

I could have just thrown them in the dumpster, but I felt like they needed more respect than that.

Soon, I will have no apartment and I'll be off to a country where I don't speak the language. I feel another journal coming on; a new sculpture.

4 comments:

Poptart said...

Hey J; I didn't know you journaled! I like the wood shavings analogy, but I'm too sentimental. What about the blog, you can't "burn" this later...

trombonechick said...

Don´t sweat it.. you´ll pick up some spanish soon enough, and adventure is good for the soul... Mexico rocks.
You´ll see soon enough

Jelly Donut said...

Don't drink the water. Fear everybody and when you get back I'll show you how you can burn these journals as well with a big magnet.

I kid of course....about the water. Have a great trip man! Looking forward to following along with your blog.

-Ted

realeanita said...

You are awesome and I love you! I am a complete supporter of "burning" and releasing....letting go in general. Good job. I am so excited to hear whats going on in Cuernavaca~! You know i was there senior year in high school?!